September 5, 2012

My #1 Dating Tip

Most often, my dating advice comes down to this: Not happy with what's been happening in your life?

DO THE OPPOSITE

Advice that can be summed up as The George Costanza Theory of Opposition:



What can hurt trying something different than you're used to? Every day I urge people to dare to date differently. Just one thing that's different. One thing that seems just a little scary. 
What have you got to lose??

I still have to take this advice in many of my life situations. DO THE OPPOSITE.

For example, most days I wonder why I ever left the newsroom. The hours - although crazy - were at least mostly scheduled. There was always a certain time fotr the newscast. A deadline. There were people all around. Creatives. Friends. Many like family.
And then I have to remember that I made dramatic changes in my professional life because I wanted to learn more. I wanted to gain different experiences. Write for myself. Take a chance and see what else I could achieve. Admittedly, I often don't feel as if I'm accomplishing much of what I'd set out to do. I thought I'd totally rule the life of working for myself and scheduling my own hours. But it's taking much longer than I'd anticipated. It's harder to complain about the boss when you work for yourself.
In those moments of self-doubt and paralytic freak-outs, I think of giving up. And then I think of The George Costanza Theory of Opposition. Saves me every time.

The truth is - all change takes adjusting. And the good stuff is there. In fact, the good stuff is here. Accessible. Possible. 

The same goes for you. 
What's your dream? Are you getting what you want? If not, try the opposite.

If you need someone to help you get started, let me know. I can help you order the chicken salad on rye.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...