February 9, 2012

14 Days of Valentines - DAY 9


TODAY'S DATE IDEA:  VISIT YOUR HISTORY

You don't need to live in a big city to have access to great museums and historical sites. For some reason people tend to think museums are only for tourists, school field trips, and old people. Not true! In fact, I get more out of my museum and historic site visits these days than I ever did in grade school. Back then I was too busy traipsing through museum field trips preoccupied with thoughts of devouring my smushed peanut butter sandwich and drinking Capri-Sun for lunch.

While visiting northern California, my husband and I stopped by the tiny Maidu Museum and Historic Site in Roseville. Admission was only $2 per person.

The museum was filled with information about the Maidu tribe's hunting and gathering lifestyle and how they managed to keep their native culture alive even after losing their land.

Behind the museum was an trail weaving by oak trees that led to spots that were once home to the Maidu.

You can see that my dear Mr. Johnson was even trying to create our own hut for us. Cute? Ridiculous? Both?


Here's a link to the National Register of Historic Places and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Both have lists of spots in every state to get you started.
Happy dating!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...