March 12, 2011

A Letter to a Dear Friend

Dear Facebook,
I think we need to talk. I think we need to take a break.
It's not you. It's me.

For the last two years, we've been nearly inseparable, spending every waking moment together. I just need some space.
When we first met, I wasn't so sure how I'd feel about you. I wasn't ready to commit. I didn't tell you all about myself.
But it wasn't long before I found myself telling you everything -- my employment history, my interests, my favorite movies, books, and even confessing my obsession for hot chocolate. And now, I'm wholly consumed in your everything. I'm obsessed with you. And I can't help but feel as if our relationship isn't equally balanced.

There are days when my time with you actually ends up making me feel bad about myself. I see all the beautiful girls who throw themselves at you and can't help but compare myself to them. I spend time looking at all the people you know and realize that they're way more awesome than I am. They take better pictures, they find the most mundane activities entertaining, and they have more friends than I do.
Another problem? You're friends with ALL my ex-boyfriends. How does that happen? How can you and I remain having something so special when you spend just as much time with all of them?
And I know you do, because I see you. Yeah. ALL the time. Even in those moments you don't think we're together, I'm always watching you, lurking over every other relationship you're so blatantly cultivating without any regret. How could you?

And who have I become? I spend so much time worrying about you that I haven't had any time to really invest in myself. So I'm going to do my best to give you up for Lent.
I know, I know. My "religious views" aren't Catholic. But does that really matter? It's not that I want to break up with you. I'm just asking for a little break. Some time to myself. To regroup. To remember all the good times we had together.
And then, I promise, I'll be back. And will likely be obsessing over you once again.

Will you miss me as much as I'll miss you?

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I am so proud of you! I feel like Facebook is a very healthy thing to give up for lent. There was a time when I was completely obsessed with Facebook, then I got a new job that didn't allow me to look at Facebook at work. It was so liberating! I still use Facebook every once in a while, but it feels so good to not be so attached to it. :)

ps - I'm so glad you're back! I've missed reading your posts over the last month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...