May 26, 2010

Coupons on a First Date?

Many years ago, my mom's best friend was coerced into posting an ad in the personals section of the newspaper. I'm not even sure if newspapers have that section anymore, but this was well before e-anything and online dating sites. Her headline was "Former Homecoming Queen Seeks King" with a picture of her from high school days.
Her tactic lured in a lot of dates. I can remember her stories about the guy with the new toupee who we dubbed "El Baldo" and the other guy who took her to McDonald's, who followed our naming trend as "El Cheapo." I don't think she was totally turned off about the McDonald's date idea, it was that he used a coupon.

Back then I laughed and laughed. And now, even after a self-induced month of dating with a nightly limit of $31, I still have no idea how I feel about coupons on a first date.

In some ways, I think we look at it as a monetary sign of worth. And in other ways, people might look at coupons on a first date as a sign of well-planned finances. So what do you think? Is it okay to use a coupon on a first date?

2 comments:

Michal said...

I have to say that I think it is both funny and gutsy to use a coupon on a first date (or early in the relationship). But why is it that we have to pretend that money is no object? I think it's part of the showing off that comes with first dates. Wouldn't you rather have a mate who considers the cost of things and looks for a practical way to save money? Nevertheless, it is pretty taboo.

A first date at McDonald's? Now that's another story. That would be my last date with him. It's not that it needs to be something expensive, but McDonald's shows no imagination. C'mon, guy!

Natasha and Jesse said...

I don't know how I feel about coupons on a first date. My first answer would probably be no, since it might come off as being a cheap-skate. But on the other hand, if I were a guy and had a coupon I would probably use it. Tough question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...